Who are we?
- We are the only broker-focused group benefits association in Canada, and specialize in bringing together the best and brightest in the employee benefits industry to discuss current issues, trends and tips for success.
- Join us, invest in you, and see what being a member of this leading association can bring you. Our events have become choice venues for new and exciting industry shaking announcements. CGIB is where the CLHIA unveiled their industry pooling initiative, where Trillium first unveiled their new changes in administration, where BBD announced their purchase by PeopleCorp and more.
- Can you think of a more effective way to improve your network, your knowledge, and your business all while actually saving you valuable time? With all these benefits you can’t afford not to be a member.
- The first Mainstay Group Breakfast Meetings were held at Sandy's Restaurant in Thornhill, ON in 2003. Between 5 and 15 advisors met each monthly to share tips, tricks and learnings about the benefits business. The group moved to Golden Griddle and as we outgrew that location, we moved to Shopsy's just up the street.
- The idea of the breakfast meetings was to have a group of advisors bring their best ideas, and biggest issues and the group would in turn share to raise the educational bar and to provide solutions to challenges the advisors faced.
- When the group grew to over 30, we split and started breakfasts in Ajax and Oakville, then Newmarket, Ottawa, Halifax, and Cambridge. Some groups grew and flourished and others withered away.
- In September 2008 we refocussed and became the Group Benefit Gangs Breakfast (GBGB). We evolved to a membership model, and committed to starting educational events in the coming year. Membership numbers passed 100 for the first time.
- In April 2009 we started our first of many educational events geared exclusively to employee benefits. These Continuing Education (CE) events would grow quickly for 3 to 5 events each year. As of January 2021 we had run over 65 "in-person and interactive" seminars and workshops.
- In September 2011 Canadian Group Insurance Brokers (CGIB) was incorporated, and more resources provided.
- In July 2018 we added access to reduced cost HR Resources from ConnectsUs HR
- In September 2020 we started in-person seminars in Calgary and Vancouver.
- In May 2021 we switched from the CVENT platform (after 10+ years) to GlueUp to manage our events. We now have over 275 members.
- In the fall of 2021 we introduced the New, Fully-Pooled Catastrophic Hybrid Insurance Plan (CHIP)
- As of June 2023 we are at 350+ members and growing.
Become a member and join in our growth.